Cheesy Baked Shrimp Dip
Creamy, cheesy and garlicky, this baked shrimp dip tastes like a dip-able version of shrimp scampi! Perfect for a party or gameday gathering!
Shrimp scampi lover? Then you’ll love this baked shrimp dip!
Are you guys getting excited about Christmas? I’ve been buying new decorations like crazy since this is our first Christmas in the new house… I love the holiday spirit! One holiday tradition is that we get together with extended family on Christmas eve, where we serve a bunch of fun party appetizers and open a few presents.
CAN THIS SHRIMP DIP BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes!! Since the holidays can be SUCH a crazy busy time, I love dips that can be made the night before, then baked right before the party. Just cook the shrimp, cool them completely, assemble the dip, but do not bake. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight. Let dip sit on the counter for 30 minutes or so to let it the chill come off it, then bake as directed!
CAN THIS SHRIMP SCAMPI DIP BE MADE IN THE CROCKPOT?
Absolutely! Although it can’t be completely made in the crockpot, since you’ll still need to cook the shrimp first, but instead of baking, it can be heated through in the crockpot until hot and bubbly (about 2 hours on LOW should do the trick).
HOW LONG DOES SHRIMP DIP LAST?
I promise you this dip will go QUICKLY at any party, but in case you do have leftovers, they should last 2-4 days… kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
WHAT KIND OF SHRIMP DO YOU USE FOR SHRIMP SCAMPI DIP?
Since the shrimp is the star here, I like to use fresh shrimp when possible… but a good quality frozen shrimp can be used as well (just defrost and lay the shrimp out on paper towels to dry off any excess moisture). I normally use large peeled and deveined shrimp, and chop them into fourths. Any size can be used, you just want to chop them into bite-sized pieces.
DOES THIS SHRIMP DIP HAVE WINE IN IT?
It does, but it’s only used during the cooking process with the shrimp. The alcohol is cooked off, but the wine gives the shrimp a decidedly “shrimp scampi” flavor. If you’d rather not use alcohol, chicken broth or water can be used instead.
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING SHRIMP SCAMPI DIP:
- Make sure you thoroughly dry the shrimp before cooking and using in the dip. You don’t want a watery dip.
- Feel free to play around with the cheeses used. I love using gooey mozzarella and salty/nutty Parmesan, but I think Monterey jack cheese or even cheddar would be good as well!
- This dip can be made in a cast iron or oven safe skillet for a one-pan dip.
- Dip is easily doubled, or even tripled. Make dip in a 9×13″ baking dish, and bake about 10 minutes longer to ensure it’s completely heated through.
OTHER GREAT DIP RECIPES:
- Bacon Cheeseburger Dip
- Cheesy Sausage Rotel Dip
- Skyline Dip (Cincinnati Chili Cheese Dip)
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Garlic and Herb Veggie Dip
- Asiago and Spinach Artichoke Dip
SHOP THE RECIPE:
- 8×8 baking dish – I love using these stoneware baking dishes… so pretty to bake AND serve in!
- Mixing bowls – the non-slip bottoms are a godsend, and I love the tight-fitting lids!
Cheesy Baked Shrimp Dip
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs. large peeled and deveined shrimp , cut into fourths
- 6 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 16 oz cream cheese , softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 lemons , zested and juiced
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley , minced
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Butter an 8x8" baking dish and set aside.
- Add olive oil to large skillet and heat over MED heat. Add shrimp and minced garlic, seasoning with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook shrimp, stirring often, 3 minutes, until shrimp is almost cooked. Add wine and stir it around, letting it cook off, for 1 minute, or until wine is mostly gone.
- Add cream cheese, mayonnaise, cheeses, lemon zest and juice, and parsley to a large mixing bowl. Stir together well to combine. Add in cooked shrimp and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Transfer dip to prepared baking dish and bake 30-40 minutes, until hot and bubbly.