This Black Forest smoothie is so rich and decadent, you’ll swear you’re having dessert, when you’re actually drinking something really healthy!
Sometimes eating healthy can be boring, flavorless and just plain awful… but this Black Forest smoothie is here to prove all those things wrong. Rich, naturally sweetened, full of nutrients (there’s even some greens in there!), yet you’ll think you’re having dessert!!
After all, many healthy foods can taste pretty boring (although definitely not these vegan Kung Pao chickpeas or pork chops!) right? That’s where you need a smoothie like this one. This Black Forest smoothie will totally trick you.
I bet you’ll forget that this smoothie is full of amazing healthy things like baby spinach, chia seeds for healthy omega-3’s, rolled oats for fiber, is naturally sweetened, plus has chocolate and cherries that bring the antioxidant punch! What you’ll taste is delicious chocolatey cherry goodness.
I won’t lie to you and tell you that it tastes as sweet as a Black Forest cake… because it doesn’t. But when you’re craving something sweet, but trying to make good healthy choices, this smoothie will be an excellent choice!
This smoothie is made dairy-free by using almond milk, but feel free to swap that out for whatever milk/nut-milk you prefer. I think cashew milk would be heavenly too!
Also, the recipe is more of a guideline for this Black Forest smoothie. You can add more almond milk if you like a thinner smoothie, or more of the oats for a thicker smoothie… basically play around with it and see what suits you best 🙂
Helpful Tools for This Recipe:
- NINJA BLENDER – This will chop through everything, for a great smooth smoothie!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk divided
- 2 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- drizzle of honey (for extra sweetness) optional
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1-2 handfuls baby spinach
- 2 cups frozen pitted cherries
- additional chopped frozen cherries, for garnish (optional)
- grated dark chocolate for garnish (optional)
- Place half the almond milk in the bottom of blender, add cocoa powder, top with dates, drizzle of honey (if using), rolled oats, chia seeds, baby spinach, frozen cherries and remaining half of the almond milk.
- Blend until smooth. You may have to stop and scrape down the sides, then blend again.
- Pour into glasses, top with additional chopped frozen cherries and a dash of grated dark chocolate if desired. Enjoy!
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.