Cheesy Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Even if you think you don’t like them, these cheesy Brussels sprouts with bacon will definitely change your mind! Cheesy, creamy, and FULL of flavor!
Brussels sprouts are a vegetable that a lot of people aren’t a fan of, but these cheesy Brussels sprouts with bacon will convert just about anyone to a full-on sprout lover!!
Growing up, I HATED brussels sprouts… with a passion! My Dad loved them, but even the smell of them cooking would be enough for me to scrunch up my face in disgust. As an adult, I’ve been trying things more and more, and once I tried them sautéed with some hazelnut butter, or roasted on a sheet pan, I realized, I’d be totally missing out. Sprouts are fantastic!! But once I tried them this way, sautéed with shallots and garlic, drizzled with cream, smothered in gooey cheese and topped with crispy bacon… I officially fell in LOVE!!
The smell of these brussels sprouts cooking was mouthwatering, and taking the photos for this post was pure torture… I wanted to eat some!! Once this photo shoot was over, I literally stood there eating forkful after forkful before I realized I should probably save some for dinner to share lol.
You may have seen recipes like this floating around on Pinterest, but most of them require you to make a béchamel sauce before baking. That certainly isn’t incredibly difficult or even time consuming, but I wanted a recipe you could literally just add things to the pot (after sautéing) and bake. Easy. Peasy.
Plus, just look at the gooey results!!
The part that takes the longest here, is prepping your brussels sprouts… sometimes those little buggers can be tedious to prepare. Especially for this recipe, when you’re going to want about 32 oz of sprouts (2 lbs).
HOW TO TRIM BRUSSELS SPROUTS
When looking at fresh brussels sprouts, you’ll see a hard little bit of stem at the base. Take a sharp kitchen knife and carefully trim off that bottom stem. Remove any loose outer leaves, and slice in half from top to bottom. Don’t worry if a few other leave fall off during the cooking process. If the sprouts are giant, go ahead and quarter them.
One bite of these cheesy Brussels sprouts with bacon, and you’ll realize how much it was worth it! I can’t tell you that these converted my sprout-hating children… although it did convince my daughter to try one, which is a victory in and of itself.. but for any adults… I think these would absolutely convert them to a sprout lover!!
Another reason I love these sprouts (other than the obvious cheese and bacon!), is that they’re really versatile!
- they’d be a fabulous side dish at a holiday meal (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc)
- they’d be amazing alongside a fancy weekend meal or be served to company
- the quick cooking time (less than 30 minutes!!), makes them ideal to serve on a busy weeknight!
- they also re-heat really well!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BRUSSELS SPROUTS
In addition to tasting amazing, sprouts are low in calories, high in fiber, full of antioxidants, may help maintain healthy blood sugar levels, and are an excellent source of vitamin K and other nutrients.
Oh yeah, that was me totally sneaking a bite!!
I really hope you all give these Cheesy Brussels sprouts with Bacon a try… you definitely won’t regret it!!
Even if you think you don't like them, these cheesy Brussels sprouts with bacon will definitely change your mind! Cheesy, creamy, and FULL of flavor!
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots (this was about 2 shallots for me)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 oz bag of fresh Brussels sprouts, cored and halved (or equivalent amount of smaller containers)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (might be labeled as heavy whipping cream)
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese (freshly grated is best)
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (freshly grated is best)
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (or about 1/2 cup bacon bits)
- minced fresh parsley, for garnish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Add butter to a large oven safe pan or skillet, and heat over MED heat. Add Brussels sprouts, shallots and garlic, seasoning with kosher salt, black pepper and paprika. Saute, stirring occasionally, about 5-8 minutes.
Remove pan from heat, pour in heavy cream. Sprinkle shredded cheddar and gruyere cheese all over the Brussels sprouts. Top with crumbled bacon and bake about 12 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Sprinkle with additional black pepper and minced parsley if desired.
- If you desire a more browned cheesy top, broil on high for a minute or so after baking.
- For a deeper bacon flavor, dice uncooked bacon slices and cook in oven safe pan or skillet until browned and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon, add 1 Tbsp butter, and saute Brussels sprouts and shallots as directed. Continue with recipe. - this adds flavor, but also adds more time to cook
Calories: 311 | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 11 | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 350mg | Potassium: 507mg | Sugar: 2g | Fiber: 4g | Vitamin A: 30.7% | Vitamin C: 117.3% | Calcium: 22.5% | Iron: 9.6%
I’m not a nutritionist, and nutritional values here on my recipes should be used for general information purposes only. This information is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before starting a new diet and fitness regimen.
Recipe from Delish