Cherry Cheesecake Homemade Ice Cream
This homemade cherry cheesecake ice cream recipe is the PERFECT summer dessert made with rich cheesecake flavors, real pieces of maraschino cherries and graham crackers!
This Cherry Cheesecake Homemade Ice Cream is such a fun dessert, and SO delicious! We love make ahead desserts, like my Oreo Poke Cake, and French Silk Pie Brownies. This is one of my Dessert recipes you’ll definitely want in your collection!
HOMEMADE ICE CREAM RECIPE
Summer may be on it’s way out, but I think we can still eke out some summer fun; what do you think? There’s not much that hits the spot on a warm day more than a scoop or two of frosty, sweet ice cream. Especially when it’s such a fun flavor, like cherry cheesecake!
I don’t know about you, but I’m an ice cream year-round kind of person, so it wouldn’t phase me one bit to make this in January lol.
Making homemade ice cream is deceptively simple, and most of the time is spent just waiting for it to chill. Plus, ice cream makers don’t have to be crazy-expensive. The model I have costs around $70, and it’s money VERY well spent!
As a bit of an ice cream connoisseur, I can attest that homemade ice cream tastes SOOOO much better than store-bought. Plus, no preservatives and you can add ANY flavor you want, with as many mix-ins as you want!
HOW TO MAKE CHERRY CHEESECAKE ICE CREAM
- Make filling. Using pre-made cherry pie filling is a great way to make this ice cream even easier, just blend it in a food processor or blender until fairly smooth. Then set aside to chill.
- Mix base ingredients. Whisk together, heavy cream, half and half, sweetened condensed milk, pudding mix and vanilla.
- Churn. This time will vary, depending on your ice cream maker model. Different brands and models have different churning times. See your ice cream maker’s instructions or manual for the optimal time. Mine takes about 20 minutes.
- Add mix-ins. The last 3 minutes of churning, add the chilled cherry pie filling and graham crackers.
- Freeze. Make sure the ice cream is in an airtight freezer container and freeze for at least 4 hours.
ADDITIONAL COOKING TIPS
- NO CHURN – I haven’t specifically tested this as a no-churn ice cream recipe, but since it doesn’t contain eggs… technically, you could attempt it. I’d use this vanilla recipe as a base, and go from there.
- CHILL THE BOWL – if you’re using an ice cream maker like the one I’ve linked to below, that doesn’t have a built in compressor, you’ll need to thoroughly chill the bowl before making ice cream. I always chill mine for 24 hours to make sure it’s REALLY frozen.
- CHILL THE INGREDIENTS – just like the bowl needs to be chilled, so do the ingredients, so things stay nice and frozen while the ice cream base is churning.
VARIATIONS OF THIS RECIPE
- CHOCOLATE – if you want a little chocolate flavor, try chopping some semi-sweet or dark chocolate and adding it in when you add the cherry filling and graham crackers.
- OTHER FRUITS – this recipe can be made using other fruits and fillings if you like. Peach, strawberry, etc.
- LIQUEUR – adding a splash of amaretto liqueur to this ice cream is a great way to play on the great flavor combo of cherry and almond.
- CHEESECAKE – sometimes I like to finely chop up some leftover cheesecake and stir it into the ice cream base before it’s frozen. Great texture and flavor!
MAKING HOMEMADE ICE CREAM AHEAD OF TIME
The great thing about making homemade ice cream is that you HAVE to make it ahead of time! It needs at least 4 hours to chill, but you can make it up to a week ahead of time.
Homemade ice creams don’t contain the preservatives that some commercial ice creams have, so the texture will degrade after 2-3 weeks.
Ice cream should be stored in an airtight container in the freezer and consumed within 2-3 weeks for best texture.
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT FOR THIS RECIPE
- Ice Cream Maker – no need to bust the bank account, this model is relatively inexpensive compared to others, and works really well!
- Ice Cream Container – I love that these fit into the door of most freezers and are reusable!
- Food Processor – normally I love this big one, but for this recipe, you could easily get by with this counter-friendly mini one!
BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO CHECK OUT OTHER READERS’ COMMENTS FOR TIPS AND REVIEWS.
AND DON’T FORGET, IF YOU’VE MADE THIS RECIPE, LEAVE A COMMENT AND PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING LETTING ME KNOW HOW YOU ENJOYED IT!
Cherry Cheesecake Homemade Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup cherry pie filling - chilled
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk - chilled
- 3.4 oz packet cheesecake instant pudding mix
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 2/3 cup graham crackers - roughly crushed
- maraschino cherries
- whipped cream
- pieces of graham crackers
- additional cherry pie filling
- Add chilled cherry pie filling to a food processor or blender and process until mostly smooth. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the heavy whipping cream, half and half, chilled sweetened condensed milk, instant pudding packet and vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and churn according to your ice cream maker's instructions. Mine takes 20 minutes.
- The last 3 minutes of churning, add blended cherry pie filling and crushed graham crackers.
- Transfer to an airtight freezer container and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Recipe makes 1.5 quarts, which equates to 12, 1/2 cup servings.