This Cherry Cola Bourbon Slush is our favorite frozen cocktail! Made with just 4 ingredients (including ice!), it’s so easy to whip together and enjoy all year round!
This is one of my Drink recipes I know you’ll want to keep on hand!
We may be less than a month away from Fall, and I don’t know about you, but I love frozen drinks all year round!
This frozen cocktail is great for bourbon-lovers, but can easily be altered to use a different liquor.
Between the cola, the cherry juice, and the ice, the bourbon flavor is there, but not ultra-prominent. That means you get a smooth, easy to drink cocktail.
Plus this recipe makes a big blender full, so it’s great to share with friends and family… or maybe not, who am I to judge? 😉
And I mean, 4 ingredients, including ice? Doesn’t get a whole lot simpler!
So let’s make some, shall we?
How to make a cherry cola bourbon slush?
This is just an overview; the full ingredients and directions are in the recipe card toward the bottom of this post.
- Stir together liquids. Mix cola, bourbon and cherry juice.
- Chill. I recommend at least 2 hours, or until cold.
- Layer in blender. Add the cold liquids first, then top with ice.
- Blend. The final texture is up to you, but I like to shoot for a slushy texture.
- Garnish and serve. I just garnish with a spear with cherries on it.
For those of you who don’t have bourbon at home, and might be heading out to buy some, here’s my recommendation. Since it’s a blended mixed drink, there’s no need for ultra top shelf stuff. Save that for sipping neat or on the rocks. But conversely, I don’t recommend buying the ultra cheap stuff either. Middle of the road is what you’re looking for. For us, that usually means a bottle Woodford Reserve or Makers Mark. And don’t worry that you won’t use up the rest of the bottle, I’ve shared 4 of my favorite recipes here on the site that use bourbon.
Variations of this recipe
- Different cola – for a little less cherry flavor, try using regular cola instead of the cherry variety.
- Different soda – for a drink which is lighter in color, and with a different flavor profile, try using a lemon-lime soda instead of cola.
- Non-alcoholic – to make this frozen cocktail a “virgin” one, leave out the bourbon and replace it with water, or additional cola.
- Lime – cherry and lime go hand in hand, so try adding a splash of lime juice or garnishing with a lime slice.
Yes! We’re bourbon fans, but I know not everyone is. Vodka, rum, etc would be great substitutions.
Absolutely! A “virgin” or mocktail is popular among pregnant women, and those who choose not to consume alcohol. I’ve detailed exactly how to make it up in the “variations of this recipe” section.
Making bourbon slush ahead of time
By nature, this recipe is made ahead of time, since the cola, bourbon and cherry juice need to be chilled.
Other than that, I don’t recommend making the whole blended cocktail ahead of time, as it won’t stay frozen.
Any leftover slush could be frozen. Due to the alcohol content, it may not freeze solid, but should stay slushy.
I picked up this blender on a whim, but it’s such a workhorse! Great for frozen cocktails, smoothies, soups, and more!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 12 oz can cherry cola
- 3/4 cup bourbon
- 1 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 5 cups ice cubes
- stemless maraschino cherries for garnish (optional)
- To a small pitcher add coca cola, bourbon and cherry juice. Stir and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until really cold.
- Add ice to a blender, then top with coca cola, bourbon, and cherry juice mixture. Blend until slushie texture.
- Pour into stemless wine glasses (or your favorite glasses) and add a cocktail pick speared with 3 maraschino cherries, if desired.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!