Kalamata and Castelvetrano olives are bathed in a mouthwatering citrus and herb marinade, and are ready for snacking, or gracing your cheese platter!
Whether you’re snacking, setting out a beautiful cheese platter, or serving a fun appetizer at a party, these citrus herb marinated olives are an ultra-easy recipe that will “wow” everyone!
There are plenty of marinated olive recipes out there, but this one differs in the way that it combines citrus zest and juice, fresh herbs, garlic and red pepper flakes for a little bit of heat!
I like to use a mixture of Kalamata olives and Castelvetrano green olives, because the colors contrast beautifully, but feel free to switch it up to any olive combination you’d like.
The only variation I would stay away from are the olives that are stuffed with something… like a blue cheese stuffed olive, or something similar. You’ve already added a lot of flavor from the marinade, so you don’t need the extra stuffing.
I love to serve these olives with some crusty bread, and possibly even a cheese platter, but they’re also fabulous as-is, with no other fixin’s. They would be awesome to put out a party, with little fancy skewers!
Since we’re using simple ingredients for the marinade, the quality of the olives you use should be pretty high. Use your favorite brand and types of olive!
This recipe makes about 3 cups of olives, and is easily doubled or halved, depending on your needs!
I like to let the olives marinate for about 1-2 days in the refrigerator before serving. Don’t freak out if when they’re marinating, the oil turns a pale yellow color. Olive oil hardens in the cold temperatures, but letting them sit out at room temp for about an hour or so before serving will allow the oil to return to the liquid state.
I hope you all give these Citrus and Herb Marinated Olives a try soon… they’ll be a great addition to any party!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 2 cups Castelvetrano green olives (any other green olives will work as well)
- 2 cups Kalamata olives
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 4-5 cloves garlic, smashed (or roughly chopped)
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients except olives in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal and shake bag to make the marinade.
- Open bag, add olives, seal bag, and massage to coat olives in the marinade.
- Place bag in the refrigerator and let sit for 1-2 days. Turn bag to re-coat olives occasionally.
- Before serving, let olives sit at room temperature for around an hour.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
NEVER MISS A CHUNKY CHEF RECIPE: