Creamy chicken and vegetables, all cooked in the same pan, topped with fluffy homemade drop biscuits, then baked until browned and bubbly!
Time for some down home comfort food! This homestyle chicken and biscuits recipe will warm your soul and is hearty enough for even the hungriest crowd!
Y’all. We have had like 2 weeks straight of sickness here in the Chunky Chef household. Everyone has had some sort of virus, and we’ve all passed them around, no matter how many times I clean, sanitize and lysol the house. To say we’re in need of some comfort food is a HUGE understatement!!
Plus, it’s just that time of year right? The weather is cooling down, it gets dark sooner… it’s totally time for comfort!
This chicken and biscuits recipe is straight from my friends Donna and Chad’s new cookbook, The Simple Kitchen. They blog over at The Slow Roasted Italian. This is their first cookbook, and after reading this one, I’m SURE it’ll be a huge hit. I mean, page after page of fantastic recipes! I had a really hard time narrowing down which recipe to share with you all. I settled on this one, being a Midwestern gal myself, because not only is it a true down-home kind of meal, but one I hadn’t actually made for myself before.
Aside from this amazing recipe, there are SO many other great ones, like Triple Cheesy Mac and Cheese, Stacked Cantina Nachos, Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots, Legendary Pecan Pie Bars, and MORE! Every kind of recipe is covered in this book… from Appetizers to Desserts, and my favorite section, the Everyday Kitchen Essentials. You can buy their book HERE! I promise, you won’t regret it!
Have you ever had classic chicken and biscuits before? It’s traditionally a Midwestern and Southern dish, but I’m sure it’s a favorite among other areas of the country as well 🙂 It’s sort of like chicken and dumplings, but with golden brown biscuits! Which, in my opinion, is way better! But then again, I’m totally biscuit obsessed… especially these!
Donna and Chad’s cookbook boasts “quick and easy recipes bursting with flavor”, and man, they aren’t kidding! I’ve tried some other chicken and biscuits before, and they can be a tad bland, but not this one. It’s perfectly seasoned with plenty of mouthwatering flavors!
This recipe is also a 30 minute meal, which is perfect for this time of the year as well. We’re all crazy busy basically from now until January, so a home cooked meal in 30 minutes? Sign me up! Plus, with the exception of the biscuits being mixed in a bowl, this dish cooks in one pan! So less dishes to clean up, and less time in the kitchen… which means more time to spend with your family! Win, win, win!
The next time you’re craving some classic comfort food, give this homestyle chicken and biscuits a try! And don’t forget to pick up your copy of The Simple Kitchen!
- Casserole Pan with Lid – Hands down, one of my favorite pans… easy cleanup, great size, pretty, and I love the clear lid!
- Box Grater – make shredding that Parmesan super easy!
WANT TO TRY THESE CHICKEN AND BISCUITS?
PIN THEM TO YOUR DINNER OR COMFORT FOOD BOARD TO SAVE FOR LATER!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/3 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
- pinch dried sage
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock (reduced sodium)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Preheat oven to 450 F degrees. Melt butter in 4 qt braising pan or 12" oven safe skillet over MED-HIGH heat. Add carrots and shallot. Cook until the shallot is softened, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the flour, rosemary, oregano, basil, thyme, marjoram, sage, salt and pepper over the vegetables and stir to coat completely. Cook for 1 minute to cook out the floury taste.
- Add the chicken stock, chicken pieces, milk and peas to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover the pan and cook 5 minutes.
- While chicken mixture is simmering, add 2 Tbsp of the butter to a large microwave safe mixing bowl. Microwave 30 seconds, or until the butter is melted. Add flour, baking powder, sugar, garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Stir until combined. Pour in the milk and stir until the flour is all wet; do not overmix. Fold in the cheese
PUT IT ALL TOGETHER:
- Uncover the pot and drop heaping spoonfuls of biscuits on top of the chicken stew. Transfer to the oven and bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Melt remaining 2 Tbsp butter in a small bowl. Add the remaining 1/4 tsp kosher salt and dried parsley. Stir with a pastry brush. Remove pan from oven and brush the biscuits with the melted butter mixture.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!