This Florentine stuffed chicken is filled with a deliciously cheesy spinach mixture, and toasted pine nuts, then wrapped in prosciutto and baked!
This is one stuffed chicken dish that is sure to impress! Stuffed with great Floretine flavors like creamy ricotta, nutritious spinach, nutty Parmesan, and crunchy toasted pine nuts… then wrapped in salty prosciutto, the flavors here won’t disappoint you, that’s for sure. Easy enough for a weeknight dinner, yet elegant enough for a dinner party!
You guys, this is one of my favorite chicken recipes. I mean, I like chicken… a LOT… but there’s something about the saltiness of the prosciutto with the creaminess of the stuffing mixture.
Wayyyyy back when I first moved in with my boyfriend (hubby now), I could barely boil water. It’s true… I was completely hopeless in the kitchen lol. We ate a LOT of frozen foods and horribly overcooked pasta that first year. My poor, poor husband lol. When I found myself in between jobs, I did what a lot of out of work people do… I watched TV. I came across a Rachael Ray show on the Food Network and she grabbed my attention. She made cooking look so easy, so fun, and so NOT scary! It was like a light switch being turned on… I could totally try it!
So I went into my first real cooking adventure with this mindset… “if I screw it up and it’s horrible, then at least Wendy’s is right up the street!”. But somehow, I didn’t screw it up! From that moment on, a passion was discovered. Now this isn’t the exact dish I made on that evening, but it’s a Rachael Ray recipe, so it seemed appropriate to share 🙂
I think this dish is great as is, but it’s extra awesome with some balsamic glaze drizzled over the top… or even some roasted garlic cream sauce!
I love how versatile this stuffed chicken is… you can make it in a little over 30 minutes, so it’s perfect for busy weeknight dinners. But just look at how impressive it looks… you could easily serve this for a dinner party!
For some extra zip, try adding some minced sun-dried tomatoes to the stuffing mixture!
I hope you’ll all give this one a try!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 1/2 box frozen spinach defrosted and drained well
- 3 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 6 chicken breasts
- 6 slices prosciutto
- Olive oil for brushing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place defrosted spinach in a colander, top with several layers of paper towels, and press down firmly to get all the excess liquid out of the spinach.
- Add pine nuts to a small dry skillet and toast over LOW heat until fragrant and toasted.
- To a mixing bowl, add ricotta, Parmesan, garlic, salt, pepper, nutmeg, spinach and pine nuts. Stir to combine well.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into the chicken breasts, slicing them across and opening them up like a book, but be careful not to cut them all the way through. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Spoon some of the spinach mixture into the chicken, and fold the top of the chicken breast back over the top of the stuffing.
- Wrap chicken with a slice of prosciutto.
- Place chicken in a cast iron skillet or a baking sheet (that's been covered with foil), and brush with olive oil.
- Roast chicken for about 18-20 minutes, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees F and is cooked through.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!