This French toast casserole is made with chocolate milk, and studded with chocolate chips and mini marshmallows, then topped with crushed graham crackers!
Have you had a French toast casserole before? It’s all the flavors of great French toast, but is made the night before. The bread soaks up all the amazing custard, then the morning of, just pop it in the oven and prepare to be amazed!!
This post was brought to you by the makers of Promised Land Dairy. I received compensation to write this post through the #FarFromOrdinaryMilk program. All opinions expressed are my own.
But my family still needs to eat right? That’s why I love these overnight breakfast recipes! So far I’ve shared my bourbon cinnamon French toast casserole and my overnight breakfast strata, and I’ve gotten such great feedback from you about those recipes!
Even though summer is over, I still crave s’mores flavors… so I thought it would be fun to add those flavors to a French toast casserole! And man is it ever delicious!!
To make it even better, I use Promised Land Dairy Midnight Chocolate Milk instead of a traditional white milk. The extra chocolatey flavor is spectacular! Have you ever tried the Midnight Chocolate Milk?
It’s smooth, rich, creamy and is loaded with natural chocolate flavor made from the highest quality cocoa. Plus, it literally tastes like melted chocolate ice cream!
My favorite bread to use is a crusty sourdough or French, but a challah is fantastic as well. Around here, fresh baked challah bread isn’t all that easy to find, unfortunately.
To make this French toast casserole, just whip it up the night before you want to eat it, then cover and refrigerate. The next morning, uncover and bake. Easy peasy right?!
While this casserole is perfect for any old regular weekday/weekend breakfast, it’s amazing for a holiday breakfast or brunch!
Your guests will absolutely love you for serving this to them, and I guarantee you, they’ll be asking for the recipe!
- Oval Baker – I love how lightweight, yet sturdy this dish is… I use it often!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 12 oz day old sourdough or French bakery bread
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups Promised Land Dairy Midnight Chocolate Milk
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips (any variety)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup crushed graham crackers
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Spray a 2 or 3 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Use a serrated bread knife to cube bread into bite-sized pieces, about 1 inch squares. Add bread cubes to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with most of the chocolate chips, marshmallows and crushed graham crackers, reserving some of each for later.
- In a mixing bowl, add eggs, chocolate milk, sugar and vanilla. Whisk to combine well, and pour mixture over bread cubes.
- Carefully stir up the mixture of bread cubes, chocolate chips, marshmallows and graham crackers.
- To the top of the bread, add the remainder of the chocolate chips, marshmallows and crushed graham crackers.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Remove casserole from refrigerator and let sit on counter to warm up.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Dust with powdered sugar and drizzle with maple syrup if desired.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
NEVER MISS A CHUNKY CHEF RECIPE: