Homemade cornbread, baked in a cast iron skillet, full of great jalapeño cheddar flavor! Perfect on it’s own, or alongside some spicy chili!
Homemade cornbread, made in the best way… baked in a cast iron skillet with bacon drippings! This version is also full of jalapeños and cheddar, making it the perfect companion to a big bowl of chili!
Cornbread can be a real hot button topic can’t it? Southerners like it one way, Northerners another. I’m not here to tell you that my homemade cornbread is the best ever… because let’s face it, we all have our own opinions of what that means don’t we?
So I’ll just say that it’s an absolute family favorite… especially with some butter on top!
My version is slightly sweet, not overly so, with a moist crumb. Not cake-like, but not crumbly either. Personally, I think it’s the best of both worlds!
How do you like your cornbread? By itself? Butter on top? Drizzled with honey? Or alongside a steaming bowl of chili? Honestly, my answer would be all of the above! They all have their time and place right?
WHAT IF I WANT TO MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS TO THIS RECIPE?
Well you totally can! Here are a couple of recommendations:
- For a sweeter cornbread, increase sugar to 1/2 cup and honey to 1/3 cup
- For a spicier cornbread, increase jalapeño amount, or don’t remove seeds/ribs
- For a cheesier cornbread, increase cheese amount to 1 1/2 cups to possibly 2 cups
- Add a sprinkle of cheese to the top of the batter alongside the jalapeño slices
- Add cooked and crumbled bacon to the batter
- Play around with different cheese flavors… such as pepper jack, Colby, Mexican blend, etc
- Try making muffins instead! Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes (makes 12 muffins)
WHAT ABOUT THE HEAT LEVEL?
I don’t think this homemade cornbread is all that spicy, but if you’re worried, you can use less of the jalapeños, or even omit them altogether. In fact, if you omit the jalapeños and the cheese, this makes a great base cornbread recipe!
The next time you’re serving up a big bowl of chili, or just feeling like you want some great cornbread, I hope you give my recipe a try!
CHILI’S TO SERVE WITH THIS HOMEMADE CORNBREAD:
- Cast Iron Skillet – hands down the most used pan in my kitchen, and it gives the most amazing sear!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted (slightly cooled)
- 3-4 Tbsp honey
- 1-2 fresh jalapeños, seeds/ribs removed, minced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp bacon grease (or vegetable/canola oil works too)
- additional jalapeño slices for top garnish
- additional cheddar cheese, for top garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees and position oven rack to the lower-middle position.
- To a mixing bowl, add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt, and whisk to combine well.
- To another large mixing bowl, add milk, eggs, melted butter and honey. Whisk to combine. Add dry ingredients mixture and use a wooden spoon to combine. Stir in jalapeños and cheddar cheese. Stir until no flour streaks remain, but don't OVER mix. Set aside.
- Heat a cast iron pan over HIGH heat for a minute. Add bacon grease and let it heat up and melt over the bottom of the pan. Turn off the heat and pour in the cornbread batter. Use wooden spoon to spread batter in evenly. If using, top with jalapeño slices, and/or additional cheddar cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Leave a Comment