This homestyle cornbread is a perfect mix of savory southern cornbread and sweet northern cornbread… fluffy and soft, it’s the only recipe you’ll need!
Whether you like your cornbread savory or sweet, this is the recipe you’ll need to satisfy both tastes. Slightly savory and slightly sweet, yet perfectly fluffy and soft… and best of all, it requires NO mixer to make!
Okay, so I’m super curious… which cornbread camp are you in? Do you like it Southern style, made of mostly cornmeal and savory in flavor? Or do you like it Northern style, made with flour and a little bit of cornmeal, and sweet? As a born and raised Ohioan… I prefer it Northern style. What can I say, I like my sweets!
However… I’ve tried sooooo many cornbread recipes over the years, trying to find that perfect one… and a lot of them were just TOO sweet. So I was on the hunt for bread with a perfect balance of flour and cornmeal, that quintessential mixture of sweet and savory. Well folks… here it is! There is a bit of sugar and honey in the batter, but there’s also one of my all time signature ingredients… bacon grease 😉
So yeah, this cornbread isn’t going to win any health awards any time soon… BUT, you won’t be using all that much bacon grease. Everything in moderation!
Winter is prime chili-eating weather, and what goes better with chili than a nice piece of cornbread? However, this cornbread…. this is one you’ll be perfectly happy to eat with just about anything. Or even all by itself!
One of my favorite parts about this recipe is that you can make it with a bowl and wooden spoon… no dragging out your mixer, no extra tools to wash. Perfect!
You can also use this recipe as a base and add whatever flavors you’d like to it! Try some minced fresh jalapeno for a kick, some drained green chiles for a Mexican flair, or some cheese to bump up the savory factor.
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 2 Tbsp bacon grease fresh, or if using saved grease, melt it
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Dab a paper towel in bacon grease and grease an 8x8" baking pan (or spray with cooking spray), and set pan aside.
- To a mixing bowl, add dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt), and whisk until combined.
- In another large mixing bowl, add melted butter, melted bacon grease, honey and eggs. Whisk to combine.
- Whisk in the buttermilk.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet mixture, and use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
2. Recipe adapted from Blue Ribbon Beer Garden
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.