Hot and Cheesy Caramelized Onion Dip
The ultimate party dip! This onion dip is made with gruyere, white cheddar, herbs, bacon, and rich caramelized onions for a melt in your mouth appetizer!
Gruyere and white cheddar cheeses are combined with a creamy onion dip, made from scratch with herbs, bacon and plenty of sweet caramelized onions… then baked to bubbly golden brown perfection!
This is one dip that I can promise you, if you make it for a party, be prepared to steal the dip off the table and go hide in a room, so you can have the dip all to yourself!
I found and tweaked this recipe because of my intense love of onion dip. You know, the dip made with sour cream and a packet of onion soup mix? That stuff is crazy good! But now that we’re adults, I thought it was time for a grown up version of the classic onion dip.
This version of the classic isn’t cold, but mixed together and baked until bubbly and golden on top. I can’t even describe to you all how in love with this dip I am… it’s actually a little scary lol.
The good news is, you can make a lot of the ingredients separately and throw them together last minute to make the dip, or even make the whole thing up and refrigerate it (unbaked), then bake it right before you need it! Easy peasy! Plus, even if you make the whole thing from start to finish, it doesn’t take that long. The longest part is waiting for the onions to caramelize, which isn’t hands on anyway.
If you notice the cheese isn’t getting as brown as you’d like, feel free to toss it under the broiler for a few minutes, just be careful that it doesn’t burn.
You can garnish your dip however you’d like, but my personal favorite way is with some minced fresh parsley and sliced green onions!
While this is awesome for a party, it’s also a nice first course for a dinner, or even pair it with a nice salad and call it a meal!
All the flavors in this onion dip are bound to have you coming back for seconds… or thirds… or fourths… or who cares, it’s delicious!!
Whip up this dip soon… your pants may hate me, but you’ll be loving every delicious bite 😀
Hot and Cheesy Caramelized Onion Dip
- 2 yellow or white onions halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp white wine optional
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 6-8 slices bacon
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Minced fresh parsley for garnish
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Use tongs to remove to a paper towel lined plate to cool. Crumble and set aside. Keep bacon grease in the skillet.
- Heat the same skillet with the bacon grease over MED heat. Add onions, salt and brown sugar and cook until onions are soft and are turning a light golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Lower heat to MED-LOW and cook onions 20-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until they are a deep golden color.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pour in wine (if using), and use a wooden spoon to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Cook until wine reduces by about half, then stir in rosemary and thyme.
- In a mixing bowl, add gruyere and white cheddar, sour cream and mayo.
- Stir in caramelized onions and crumbled bacon.
- Spray a baking dish or cast iron skillet with cooking spray and transfer dip to the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until bubbly and lightly golden brown.
- Sprinkle with minced parsley and sliced green onions.
2. Serve with toasted baguette slices, or whatever you'd like.