One-Pan Mexican Quinoa Skillet
Okay, so you all know I’ve been trying to branch out (just one of the many things that I love about blogging), and quinoa was on my list of things to try to incorporate into our dinner routine. We’ve tried it a few times, but this dish is our favorite one so far… it has soooooo many Mexican flavors, plenty of protein and nutrition, and the best part… it cooks in one pan. One pan!
Although, I do have to say… I actually don’t mind doing dishes. I know, I’m fully aware that I’m weird 😛 I revel in it lol. And I should specify, I like doing a medium or small amount of dishes. A giant sink full, plus all the pots and pans from cooking and table full of dirty plates… that, I don’t like so much lol. That’s why this is one of those meals that you’ll love, all the flavor and yumminess, and hardly any mess at all.
This quinoa dish is also versatile, you can use it as a side dish (like I did), or as a vegetarian and vegan main course! It’s delicious on it’s own, but you could also put it in a tortilla for a great vegetarian taco meal 🙂
I will warn you that it doesn’t look super appetizing while it’s cooking… just give it time.
It took me a little longer to get all the quinoa cooked than the original recipe stated, so I’ve put my cook time in this recipe, although I’ll give you a range of when it may be finished so you’re not flying blind.
Don’t be alarmed by the jalapeno in this, you saute it first, so it takes some of the heat out, and after all the other flavors are added, it won’t be hot. My kiddos ate this with no complaints of “it’s spicy!!”
So just start by sauteing the garlic and jalapeno in a little olive oil for a minute or two. Then add in all the remaining ingredients, stir to combine, let it come to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20-35 min. Mine took 30 minutes. You can garnish this any way you’d like, but I highly recommend a squeeze of fresh lime juice, sprinkle of minced cilantro and some diced avocado. Seriously, amazing!!
The freshness of the garnishes really just makes these flavors really POP!
This would be great alongside just about any Mexican inspired meal, if you’re looking for some examples you could try my Pork Carnitas, Chicken Fajitas, Taco Cupcakes, or just have a vegan night and it’s a complete meal in one skillet 🙂
Your dinner is ready!
Don’t forget to sign up for email updates to get new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious
Don’t miss a new recipe, enter your email below to stay updated!
One-Pan Mexican Quinoa Skillet
- 1 Tbsp olive oil - or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 jalapeno - seeded and minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 oz can black beans - drained and rinsed thoroughly, 15-
- 1 oz can diced tomatoes - 14.5, DON'T drain
- 1 cup frozen corn - thawed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt and black pepper - to taste
- 1 avocado - diced
- Juice of 1 lime - plus additional lime wedges for garnish
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro - minced
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapeno, and saute, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa, vegetable stock, black beans, can of tomatoes, thawed corn, chili powder and cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through and translucent, about 30 minutes. Top with avocado, cilantro, and squeeze lime juice over the top.