Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas with Guacamole
All the delicious flavor of classic chicken fajitas, made easily on one sheet pan! Serve with your favorite sides/toppings right on the sheet pan after they’re done baking. Easy dinner, easy cleanup!
This recipe for Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas is perfect for when you want a classic recipe the whole family will love! We love easy Mexican-inspired meals like my Baked Chicken Chimichangas and Loaded Sheet Pan Nachos. This is one of my Mexican recipes you’ll definitely want in your dinner rotation!
CHICKEN FAJITAS RECIPE
If there’s one kind of meal that will get all my family around the dinner table with smiles on their faces, it’s Mexican, or Tex-Mex. And honestly, I’m right there with them… I could eat that food 7 days a week and be perfectly happy.
And if there’s one kind of meal that brings a smile to MY face, it’s sheet pan and/or one pan meals. All the great flavor, with wayyyyy less dishes to clean up afterwards!
These chicken fajitas are one of my favorites. The seasoning blend is full of complex flavors, and it’s so easy to throw together!
You can absolutely keep all your sides and toppings separate, but I like to add them right to the baked fajitas on the sheet pan, so there’s less to wash/clean up later. I’m all about the laziness people!
This recipe is actually a two-fer… not only do you get the chicken fajitas, but you get a classic guacamole recipe too! Feel free to jazz it up any way you like, but it’s a great base recipe.
HOW TO MAKE SHEET PAN CHICKEN FAJITAS
- Season the chicken. Add the oil, lime juice and seasoning mix to mixing bowl and whisk. Add chicken and toss to combine. Refrigerate while oven preheats.
- Add chicken to pan. Spread chicken strips on sheet pan, in an even layer.
- Season the veggies. Add a little more oil and the veggies to the same mixing bowl you used for the chicken, and toss to combine. Add veggies to sheet pan.
- Bake. Cook for about 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through. If veggies need more time, remove chicken from the pan, and return the pan to the oven for another 5 minutes or so.
HOW TO MAKE GUACAMOLE
- Pit and scoop avocados. Carefully remove pits and discard. Scoop out the flesh to a mixing bowl.
- Add lime juice. After adding the juice, mash until desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in other ingredients. Stir in cilantro, red onion and salt.
ADDITIONAL COOKING TIPS
- THE PAN – make sure the sheet pan you’re using has sides. A flat cookie sheet wouldn’t be ideal here. The chicken and veggies will give off liquid as they cook, and you don’t want that all over your oven.
- THE SEASONING – if you’d rather not make your own spice mix, you can use a store-bought packet if you like.
VARIATIONS OF THIS RECIPE
- BAKING DISH – if you don’t have a sheet pan for these chicken fajitas, you can also make this in a 9×13″ baking dish. Preferably in 2 dishes, so the chicken and veggies have a little room to cook rather than steam.
- PROTEIN – this recipe also works well with other proteins, like shrimp or steak. For steak, bake for about 12 minutes, and for shrimp, bake about 9-10 minutes. The veggies might need additional cooking time.
- SPICY – if you like things spicy, try adding some sliced jalapenos to the veggie mix, and/or add extra cayenne pepper.
- MILD – I think this seasoning mix is fairly mild, but you could omit the cayenne if you want something extra mild.
- VEGGIES – onions and bell peppers are the traditional vegetables, but if you prefer something extra, go ahead and add it in there. Keep in mind, heartier veggies may need longer to bake.
MAKING CHICKEN FAJITAS AHEAD OF TIME
Make dinner even quicker and EASIER by prepping everything ahead of time.
Slice all veggies and chicken ahead of time and store them separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
You can also mix up the seasoning blend a few days in advance and store at room temperature.
Leftovers should be refrigerated in an airtight container and consumed within 3-4 days.
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT FOR THIS RECIPE
- Rimmed Baking Sheet – you can use any size baking sheet, but this half sheet pan is really versatile and what I used here. As a bonus, it’s a 2 pack!
BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO CHECK OUT OTHER READERS’ COMMENTS FOR TIPS AND REVIEWS.
AND DON’T FORGET, IF YOU’VE MADE THIS RECIPE, LEAVE A COMMENT AND PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING LETTING ME KNOW HOW YOU ENJOYED IT!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast - sliced into thin strips
- 1 large red bell pepper - sliced into thin strips
- 1 large yellow bell pepper - sliced into thin strips
- 1 large yellow onion - sliced
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil - divided
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 medium avocados - pitted
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp minced red onion
- pinch of salt
MAKE THE FAJITAS
- Preheat oven to 400°F and set aside a rimmed sheet pan.
- In a mixing bowl, add 2 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil, lime juice, chili powder, paprika, sugar, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne. Whisk together and add chicken strips to the bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate while oven preheats.
- Use tongs to add chicken to sheet pan. Add sliced onion and peppers to same mixing bowl with residual spice mixture, along with remaining 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil and toss to combine. Add to sheet pan alongside chicken.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken strips reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. If the peppers and onions aren’t cooked quite enough, remove the chicken from the pan and place the pan with the vegetables back in the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes until they are soft and a bit caramelized.
- Scoop out the flesh of the pitted avocados and add to a mixing bowl. Add lime juice and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Stir in cilantro, red onion and a pinch of salt. Taste and add more salt if needed.