Morning everyone 🙂 This post is one of the first few recipes I posted on my blog, and the pictures were… um… kinda terrible lol. So I’ve been itching to make this again and take some new pictures for you all! This soup is unbelievably easy to make and tastes incredible. You won’t want canned tomato soup ever again! Here’s the original post:
Trick-or-Treat!! Dinner on Halloween night has always been a horrible scramble, and stressful as all get out. There’s dinner to make, eat, clean up, costumes to put on, pictures to take and then walking around in the cold and rainy evening… sounds so fun huh? What sounds better on a cold, rainy night other than.. soup!! I went with an old classic with a few twists… tomato, basil and parmesan soup with mozzarella cheese stuffed crescents (the “grilled cheese” component). Wanna hear the best part? It cooks in the crockpot 😀 I looooove my crockpot on cold days.
So once the soup has cooked for 4-8 hours on low, you ladle it into a food processor or blender and puree it, then it’ll look like this…
Now you simply make your roux, add the cream, let it thicken slightly, then pour into the crockpot, add the parmesan cheese and let it cook another 20-30 minutes. Top it off with extra parmesan and basil if you’d like!
Now here’s the finished product and a comparison of the pictures… lord I hope you like the new one better 🙂
I never get tired of this soup… it’s such a perfect winter meal. As much as I’d rather winter be over… I’m looking outside now at a snow covered backyard, so bring on the winter meals for a little while longer.
To me, no soup is complete without some sort of bread to dunk into the soup (possibly because I just LOVE bread)… so here are a few of my favorite dishes to accompany this soup!
- Garlic Herb Cheesy Crescent Rolls
- Semi-Homemade Cheesy Garlic Bread
- No-knead Artisan Bread
- Ultimate Gourmet Grilled Cheese
I’m always nervous to make new recipes for other people without testing them first, but this was a hit with my whole family! So if you’re craving some soul-warming soup on a chilly day… try this one, you won’t be disappointed!!
Recipe inspired from Le Creme de la Crumb
Never miss a recipe!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 2 15- oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 10- oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil finely chopped
- 2 cloves large garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock to make it vegetarian
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese shredded
- For the Roux:
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, onion, basil, salt, pepper, heavy cream and vegetable or chicken broth to your crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (although it can be done on high for 2 hours as well). Stir occasionally and scrape down the sides (if you can).
- 40 minutes before serving, transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return to crockpot.
- Make your roux by melting your butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until it's incorporated. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream until the cream is smooth and thickened.
- Add Parmesan cheese and roux to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cook for another 20-30 minutes. Cheese should be completely melted into the soup. Stir thoroughly before serving. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and basil if desired.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!