Asian Beef with Sugar Snap Peas
So Chinese food… it’s pretty amazing isn’t it? I LOVE ordering Chinese takeout, but I hate paying for it. Grrrr. I stumbled across a recipe for Asian beef and snow peas and knew we just had to try it. It seems like I end up fixing more chicken than anything else, so I’ve been looking for more and more non-chicken meals, and this one was a winner!!
What’s one of your favorite things to order from a Chinese restaurant? Admittedly, my favorite dish is chicken in garlic sauce (see? More chicken… smh)… but I have to tell you, the sauce in this dish is fantastic and rates right up there with the flavors of my favorite dish. I think the sauce would go wonderfully with just about any Asian type of meal… chicken, tofu, veggies… YUM!
The beef part of this dish calls for flank steak, although you could substitute with your favorite cut of meat. If you would like some tips on slicing the flank steak, check out my descriptions and pictures in my Mongolian Beef recipe… you’ll be using the same method in this recipe 😀
So slice up your meat, toss with cornstarch, and set aside. Saute your mushrooms in a large skillet or wok (do you guys have a wok? I want one!). While they’re browning, whisk your sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set it aside. Now you’re going to remove your mushrooms to a plate once they’ve finished browning, and add your beef to the pan, adding more oil if necessary. You want the beef to get browned, so you may need to cook it in batches.
While the beef is cooking, partially steam your peas in the microwave, or boil them for about 2 minutes or so. Next, add your cooked mushrooms and peas to the beef in the skillet, add your sauce and cook on high heat for about a minute.
Now I served this over my sticky coconut rice recipe (found HERE), but go ahead and serve this over any rice you’d like… it’s your dinner 🙂
I hope you make this meal, I think you’ll all love it!!
Can’t you just practically taste those savory Asian flavors?
Recipe adapted from Julias Album
Don’t forget to sign up for email updates to get new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google +, so follow me if you’d like… I love keeping in touch with all of you 🙂
Asian Beef with Sugar Snap Peas
- Asian Sauce:
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 10 oz snap peas
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 oz mushrooms sliced thinly
- 1 pound beef thinly sliced (sirloin steak strips, flank steak, or any other steak)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Heat a large skillet until hot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil - it should sizzle. Immediately add sliced mushrooms and cook them on high heat, stirring occasionally, until they brown. Salt them midway through. Remove mushrooms to a plate.
- Microwave the peas for 2 minutes (or boil), and set aside.
- To the same skillet, on high heat, add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil. Immediately add thinly sliced meat. You might want to do this in 2 batches, because you will want each slice of meat to touch the bottom of the skillet and for meat slices not to be crowded. This will ensure that meat will brown. Cook meat until both sides are browned. Remove this batch to a plate. Add a second batch of meat, and repeat.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Return all of the cooked meat back to the skillet. Add the peas and cooked mushrooms, then the sauce. Cook on high heat for about 1 minute.
- Serve over rice.