Semi-Homemade Cheesy Garlic Bread
Ditch the frozen stuff and make this incredibly easy semi-homemade garlic bread instead! Plus, add some mozzarella to make it extra cheesy!
There’s something so comforting about a perfectly warm and toasty loaf of sliced bread… each sliced slathered in the most delicious garlic parmesan and herb spread! This recipe is perfect alongside a bowl of pasta or comforting soup! Plus, I’ve also shared my favorite way to have this homemade garlic bread… with plenty of extra gooey cheese!
This post was sponsored by Mountain Rose Herbs. All opinions here are my own.
You guys… I’ve finally done it! I’ve been struggling to perfect the perfect homemade garlic bread for a LONG time. Everything I tried was too soft, too crispy, not enough garlic flavor, too many herbs, not super flavorful, etc. So for our pasta nights, we always fell back to some variety of frozen garlic bread. But no more folks!!
This bread is actually semi-homemade, since you’ll be using a loaf of artisan bread from a bakery (or the bakery section of your local grocery store, like I did), but it tastes 100x better than any frozen bread!
My secret weapon for getting maximum flavor into this garlic bread is using the finest dried herbs and culinary oils. For this recipe I used their cracked black pepper, extra virgin olive oil, and an Italian seasoning blend.
HOW TO MAKE GARLIC BREAD FROM REGULAR BREAD
Making this semi-homemade garlic bread is really simple and only takes about 10 minutes to assemble. While the oven is preheating, you’ll want to mix up the garlic parmesan herb butter (seriously drool worthy!). I like to use salted butter for this, but if all you have is unsalted, that will work, just add a bit more kosher salt. When slicing the bread, the secret here is to slice it alllllllmost, but not actually, all the way through. If you slice all the way through, the bread can fall apart too easily. Then just slather both sides of each slice, cover with foil and bake! Easy peasy!
Look at all those specks of flavor!!!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE GARLIC BUTTER
Making garlic butter is as simple as adding ingredients and stirring. I promise it’s SO easy! The best part is that you can make it up ahead of time. To be completely safe though, you’ll want to either eat it within a few days, or freeze it. To freeze, just mix up the butter, then dollop it on a sheet of plastic wrap. Fold the wrap over the butter completely, then grab each end of the plastic wrap and make small circular motions with both hands to wring and wrap the butter up like a giant tootsie roll. Add it to a plastic resealable bag and freeze for 1-2 months. Just thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before using.
I mean, how can you go wrong with gooey, melty cheese?! To get extra cheesy, either add shredded mozzarella to the butter mixture, sprinkle it in between each slice, or do what I did… and do both. I was alllllll about the decadence here you guys. Of course you can use any cheese you’d like, I just found mozzarella stayed gooey the longest, and went with the Italian flavors in the bread.
I know some of you might not like a cheesy garlic bread, so I wanted to be sure to include some shots of the warm, buttery bread without the extra cheese as well.
Here’s a list of great meals to have with this semi-homemade garlic bread:
- Easy Crockpot Spaghetti Casserole
- One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Roasted Garlic Cream Sauce
- 10 Minute Shrimp Scampi
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Soup
I really hope you all try out this warm, gooey, buttery and flavorful homemade garlic bread on your next pasta night (or even alongside a great bowl of soup!).
Semi-Homemade Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened to room temperature (1 stick)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (use the good stuff - no jarred or canned varieties)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated or very finely minced
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest (optional but recommended)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 loaf of artisan bread (my personal favorites are sesame seed or any other bread with a tight crumb to hold the butter)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Set a baking sheet aside.
- While oven is preheating, combine butter, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, Italian seasoning blend, cracked black pepper, and salt in a small mixing bowl. Mix together with a small rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Using a bread knife, slice bread into roughly 1 inch thick slices, not cutting all the way through, just down to about 1/2 inch from the bottom.
- Spread an even coating of butter mixture on both sides of the bread slices. Be generous, and if there's any butter left over, refrigerate in an airtight container. For an extra cheesy version, add some shredded mozzarella cheese in between each slice of bread.
- Wrap loaf of bread completely in aluminum foil (this will likely take two pieces, one on the bottom and one on the top). Place wrapped bread on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Open the top of the foil and bake another 5 minutes to let the top of the bread toast a little.
- Serve hot and enjoy!