Your favorite takeout Kung Pao dish, gone vegan!! Hearty, satisfying, and deliciously spicy… you’ll be amazed at the fantastic flavor of this dish!
Just because you are eating vegan, that doesn’t mean your meals have to be boring… these Kung Pao chickpeas will amaze you with their bold, delicious flavor!
One of the things I love about this meal is the affordability. Think about the cost of chicken compared to the cost of 1 can of chickpeas… cha-ching! That’s more money in your pocket 🙂
This Kung Pao meal also comes together really quickly. Aside from the marinating time, you can cook this meal in about 10 minutes. For real!
I tossed my chickpeas in the marinade and cooked my rice while they were marinating, that way I had the whole meal together in about 40 minutes, including marinating time!
Once you’ve marinated the chickpeas, add some oil to a large skillet (or wok if you have one), then toss in your chickpeas, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and stir. Pour in your Kung Pao sauce and saute for about 6-10 minutes, until they get as caramelized as you’d like. Serve over rice if you want.
As far as garnishes go, it’s up to you! The night we ate this, I kept it simple and did sesame seeds, green onions, and some extra peanuts.
For leftovers the next day (which are equally amazing, by the way), I went with some sliced red Thai peppers, cilantro, sesame seeds and shredded red cabbage.
The spicy, sticky sauce is just amazing. You will hardly even notice you’re eating chickpeas!I found this recipe via Brandi on SheKnows.
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1 Tbsp agave or honey
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil melted (or vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 14.5 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed well
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil or vegetable
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch section of fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1 cup bottled kung pao sauce
- Green onions thinly sliced
- Thai chili peppers sliced
- Red cabbage
- Sesame seeds
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl. Add the chickpeas to the marinade, and stir. Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet or wok over medium heat, add the coconut oil, the marinated chickpeas and the remaining stir fry ingredients.
- Sauté for about 6 to 10 minutes, until the chickpeas have caramelized to your liking.
- Serve over rice and garnish as desired.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.