I don’t know about you guys, but I’m a taco freak! I love them in all shapes, forms and sizes. And I definitely love tacos where the meat is cooked in the slow cooker! All the amazing flavor, hardly any of the work… gotta love that 😉
What you’re going to do for these tacos is make a rub/paste to slather (don’t you just love the word slather? I’m weird, I know…) all over the beef. I let my food processor do the chopping work for me.
Place your cut of beef in your slow cooker (I used a beef shoulder), and get to slathering that rub/paste all over the beef.
Next pour some beef broth and Mexican beer (no Bud Light here folks, go for something authentic), into the slow cooker on the sides next to the beef. You don’t want to pour it over the top of the beef and wash off all that rub/paste you just put on there! Toss in a bay leaf, pop a lid on the slow cooker, set it on LOW for 8-10 hours.
Once the beef is finished cooking, remove it to a bowl and start shredding it up. This will be practically effortless…. just gently pull at it with two forks and it’ll break right up! If there’s a lot of fat in the liquid at the bottom of your slow cooker, go ahead and skim that off, then add the shredded beef back into the slow cooker. Stir the meat around to get all coated in the juices and let it sit on the warm setting for about 15-20 minutes.
You can go as crazy with the toppings on these tacos as you want! You can also serve them on flour tortillas, corn tortillas, crunchy shells, homemade soft flour tortillas… however you’d like.
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 2 lbs boneless beef roast (shoulder rump, chuck eye, top or bottom round, brisket)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 in to 4 chipotle peppers adobo plus 1 to 2 Tbsp reserved sauce (I used 3 peppers and 2 Tbsp of sauce)
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 oz beef broth
- 6 oz Mexican beer
- Liberally season beef on both sides with salt and pepper. Place in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- In a food processor, add chipotle peppers plus adobo sauce, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, garlic salt, and oregano. Pulse and process until just blended.
- Using your hands, spread half of chipotle mixture over the top of the roast. Flip roast over and spread remaining mixture over other side. Pour beef broth and beer next to the roast, into the bottom of the slow cooker. Add in bay leaf. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove roast to a cutting board or large bowl and shred. Skim fat off top of cooking liquid, if necessary, and remove bay leaf. Put the beef back into the slow cooker and stir to soak up the juice, and reheat on WARM setting for 20 minutes.
- Serve on tacos, or however you desire. Leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
** If you prefer, you can use all beef broth instead of using the beer.
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.