Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos
How appropriate is it that tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo and it happens to fall on a Tuesday? Helloooooo Taco Tuesday!! Don’t you just love it when things work out? 😀 How about some delicious and tender shredded beef tacos…. Barbacoa to be exact… sound good?
I don’t know about you guys, but I’m a taco freak! I love them in all shapes, forms and sizes. And I definitely love tacos where the meat is cooked in the slow cooker! All the amazing flavor, hardly any of the work… gotta love that 😉
There are some really tasty flavors in these shredded beef tacos. One of my personal favorites being chipotles in adobo sauce. Not only is the flavor great, but I love the tiny little cans they come in, and adobo is just fun to say!
What you’re going to do for these tacos is make a rub/paste to slather (don’t you just love the word slather? I’m weird, I know…) all over the beef. I let my food processor do the chopping work for me.
Place your cut of beef in your slow cooker (I used a beef shoulder), and get to slathering that rub/paste all over the beef. Don’t bother with a rubber spatula, use your best two tools you’ll ever have… your hands 🙂
Next pour some beef broth and Mexican beer (no Bud Light here folks, go for something authentic), into the slow cooker on the sides next to the beef. You don’t want to pour it over the top of the beef and wash off all that rub/paste you just put on there! Toss in a bay leaf, pop a lid on the slow cooker, set it on LOW for 8-10 hours.
Go on about your day and have zero stress about what to do for dinner… it’s already covered! No need to go out for tacos, you’ll have a whole slow cooker full of incredible meat to make as many tacos as your heart, or stomach, desires! Granted, we eat a LOT of tacos in this house, but we couldn’t make it through the whole slow cooker full, so I put some in a freezer bag and froze it for the next time I want these tacos. It’s like getting several meals from one simple slow cooker recipe 😀
Once the beef is finished cooking, and by the way, smelling insanely good, remove it to a bowl and start shredding it up. This will be practically effortless you guys…. just gently pull at it with two forks and it’ll break right up! If there’s a lot of fat in the liquid at the bottom of your slow cooker, go ahead and skim that off, then add the shredded beef back into the slow cooker. Stir the meat around to get all coated in the juices and let it sit on the warm setting for about 15-20 minutes.
You can go as crazy with the toppings on these tacos as you want! You can also serve them on flour tortillas, corn tortillas, crunchy shells, homemade soft flour tortillas… however you’d like. I kept my toppings fairly simple for this one, as I wanted the amazing flavor of the beef to really shine… I used diced avocado, shredded monterey jack cheese, sliced red onion, chopped cilantro and a drizzle of sour cream 🙂
I also served these with my super flavorful cilantro and citrus rice… to make it sort of a Chipotle copycat taco.
I can’t even begin to tell you how flavorful and moist this beef is… you’ll love it! Not only is it great in tacos, but in omelettes the next morning, quesadillas, salads, and remember, it also freezes well!
I hope you all try this one, and have a great Cinco de Mayo!!
Don’t miss a new recipe, enter your email below to stay updated!
Recipe adapted from Five Heart Home
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos
- 2 lbs boneless beef roast (shoulder rump, chuck eye, top or bottom round, brisket)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 in to 4 chipotle peppers adobo plus 1 to 2 Tbsp reserved sauce (I used 3 peppers and 2 Tbsp of sauce)
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 oz beef broth
- 6 oz Mexican beer
- Liberally season beef on both sides with salt and pepper. Place in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- In a food processor, add chipotle peppers plus adobo sauce, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, garlic salt, and oregano. Pulse and process until just blended.
- Using your hands, spread half of chipotle mixture over the top of the roast. Flip roast over and spread remaining mixture over other side. Pour beef broth and beer next to the roast, into the bottom of the slow cooker. Add in bay leaf. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove roast to a cutting board or large bowl and shred. Skim fat off top of cooking liquid, if necessary, and remove bay leaf. Put the beef back into the slow cooker and stir to soak up the juice, and reheat on WARM setting for 20 minutes.
- Serve on tacos, or however you desire. Leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen.
** If you prefer, you can use all beef broth instead of using the beer.
Linked to Made By You Monday | Melt in Your Mouth Mondays | Munching Mondays | Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesdays | Try a New Recipe Tuesday | Take A Look Tuesday | Totally Talented Tuesdays | Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party | Simple Suppers | What’s Cooking Wednesdays | Whimsy Wednesdays | The Wednesday Roundup | Wordless Wednesday | Showcase Your Talent Thursdays | Full Plate Thursdays | Favorite Things Blog Hop | Foodie Fridays | Fiesta Fridays | Pure Blog Love | Pin Junkie Pin Party | Foodie Friends Friday | Foodie Friday and Everything Else | Fresh Ideas for Your Home | Friday Favorites | Show Stopper | Best of the Weekend | Show and Tell Saturday | Link Party Palooza