Perfectly seasoned and roasted breakfast potatoes topped with sweet caramelized onions, bacon pieces, and topped off with fresh herbs!
I love breakfast foods, of all kinds! As a kid, breakfast for dinner was one of my favorite meals to have… and it still is today 😀 The next time you’re thinking of what to have alongside your eggs or sausage, try these breakfast potatoes. Perfectly seasoned and roasted red-skin potatoes topped with caramelized onions, crispy bacon and fresh herbs. The perfect side dish for breakfast!
Usually I prefer hashbrown potatoes, due to some “home fries” not being cooked all the way through (I’m picky about my potatoes lol)… but these are the perfect combination of crispy on the outside and fluffy and soft on the inside. Not to mention the fantastic seasonings on these potatoes. Smoked paprika is the star of this recipe!
The smoked paprika is what gives these potatoes a golden color. If you haven’t tried smoked paprika yet, you should 🙂 It’s, well, smoky (I’m sure you’re just so surprised….), but seriously, it’s a smoky sweet spice that brings an earthiness and depth of flavor to this dish.
These breakfast potatoes aren’t just incredibly tasty, they’re incredibly simple to make. What’s not to love about that? 🙂
You have two options for the preparation here…
- Option 1 – Cook 5-6 slices of bacon in a skillet (or bake in the oven), and save the rendered bacon grease. Use that saved bacon grease as the “oil” in the recipe, so the onions and potatoes are coated in bacon grease and roasted. Crumble bacon and add once potatoes are done cooking.
- Option 2 – Coat the potatoes and onions in olive oil and roast. Cook bacon separately and add once potatoes are done cooking.
I chose the bacon grease option, because well, I just love that extra bacon flavor. But it’s not the healthiest option, so if you’d prefer, go with option 2 🙂
Regardless of which option you go with, dice up your potatoes (the recipe calls for red-skin potatoes, but yukon gold or even sweet potatoes would be great too), dice your onion, mince your rosemary and add to a large bowl. Add your smoked paprika, dried thyme and salt and pepper. Now add whichever “oil” you choose (olive oil or bacon grease) and toss to coat all the potatoes. Spread out potatoes in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (the kind with a rim). Pop them in the oven and you’re done! Just toss the potatoes halfway through cooking. No babysitting, minimal effort, just set the timer and go relax 🙂
Once your potatoes are done roasting, top them with some minced fresh rosemary and thyme (optional but recommended).
Don’t be surprised if you find yourself reaching for seconds… or thirds. I won’t judge you… in fact, I’ll be right there, fork in hand, grabbing more servings myself 🙂
These don’t have to be a strictly breakfast potato dish… if you’d like, make them a side dish for dinner 🙂 They’d go perfectly with just about any meal. I think the next time I make these I’m going to try making them with half red-skin potatoes and half sweet potatoes 🙂
Recipe adapted from Self Proclaimed Foodie 🙂
Helpful Tools for This Recipe:
- NORDICWARE BAKING SHEET – My all-time favorite rimmed baking sheets!
- SMOKED PAPRIKA – This is a brand I use all the time!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 2 lbs red-skin potatoes chopped into small pieces
- 5-6 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1-2 Tbsp bacon grease or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Minced fresh rosemary for garnish
- Minced fresh thyme for garnish
- Cook bacon slices in a skillet, removing with slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Reserve bacon grease.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, combine potatoes, onions, herbs and seasonings, and reserved bacon grease and toss well to evenly coat potatoes.
- Arrange in single layer on baking sheet. Bake for about 40 minutes, tossing halfway through, until potatoes are golden brown and crispy.
- Top with crumbled bacon pieces and minced fresh herbs to garnish.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.