This strawberry pie tastes JUST like the classic pie from Frisch’s Big Boy/Shoneys! It uses 6 simple ingredients, and a pre-made pie crust to make it easy!
Classic fresh strawberry pie… if you’ve never had it, you absolutely MUST try it! This copycat version tastes JUST like the Frisch’s Big Boy or Shoneys treat, and is made super easy. Just 6 common ingredients and an easy pre-made frozen pie crust… you can totally do this!
But now I don’t have to wait, I can have this pie any time I want… and so can YOU!
Aside from my crust issues lol, this is actually a really easy pie to make!
- Pre-bake the pie crust (according to the package directions), and let cool
- Boil water, sugar and cornstarch until thick, then whisk in dry strawberry gelatin
- Let mixture cool slightly, whisking occasionally
- Slice strawberries and add them to baked pie crust
- Pour gelatin mixture over the top, refrigerate for at least 4 hours
And don’t forget the whipped cream!! Of course, it’s optional, but I think a dollop really tastes awesome!
If you’re reading this and going, “hey, that’s a Shoney’s pie!”, I’m pretty sure Shoney’s and Frisch’s Big Boy are owned by the same company, because they’re menus are nearly identical (from what I’ve seen). Frisch’s Big Boy is just the regional restaurant around here 🙂
We love to serve this strawberry pie year round, but it always tastes best during the Spring and Summer months (when the strawberries are freshest). It would be perfect for Memorial Day, Independence Day, Sunday, Tuesday… basically any day that ends in y 😉
I really hope you all make and enjoy this Copycat Frisch’s Big Boy Fresh Strawberry Pie!!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 1 frozen pie crust (deep dish if you can find it)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp dry strawberry gelatin (like Jello - about 1/2 a 3 oz box)
- 2 cups sliced strawberries (sliced in half or quarters, depending on size of berries)
- whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
- Prick bottom and sides of frozen pie crust with fork, and bake according to package directions. If you're worried about the crust puffing up, before baking, place a piece of parchment paper inside the crust and add about a cup of dried beans or rice. Let cool.
- To a small sauce pan, add water, sugar, and cornstarch and whisk to combine. Heat over MED heat until boiling, reduce heat a bit and simmer several minutes, until thickened.
- Whisk in dry strawberry gelatin and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Wash and slice strawberries, then add to cooled pie crust. Pour strawberry gelatin mixture over strawberries. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, until set.
- Serve cold, with whipped cream if desired.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.