Chorizo and Potato Breakfast Tacos
The best way to start your day is with these chorizo, potato and egg breakfast tacos! Spicy and savory, with an easily customizable heat level, they’re sure to be a family favorite!
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so why not add some bold flavors and make breakfast FUN! These breakfast tacos are the best way to enjoy a weekend breakfast!
I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve always been a huge Mexican food fan. From tacos to enchiladas, salsa, and everything in between, I can’t get enough of it. I’m also a HUGE fan of breakfast foods! So I thought, why not combine those two things and make the best taco recipe ever – Chorizo and Potato Breakfast Tacos!
Ironically, even though I love breakfast foods, I’m not usually hungry for a big breakfast in the morning. Weird right? Probably because I’m the one who cooks in my house, and well, let’s just say, I’m NOT a morning person lol. I need a good hour or so before I’m fully functional, which is no time to be near an oven!
These breakfast tacos do have a bit of a kick, from the Mexican chorizo and the serrano peppers in the potatoes, but it can easily be modified to be less spicy if you prefer.
TO REDUCE THE HEAT LEVEL:
- Substitue a jalapeno (de-seeded) or green bell pepper for the Serrano pepper.
- Substitute ground pork or turkey for the chorizo.
- Use a mild salsa (if using store-bought).
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING THESE BREAKFAST TACOS:
- Use any tortillas you like. I love soft white corn tortillas, so that’s what I used here, but I’ve made them with regular soft flour tortillas before and they’re still amazing.
- My store carries ground chorizo in packages like ground beef, but if yours doesn’t you can buy chorizo links and remove the casing. Take a knife and carefully slice from one end of the link to the other, not cutting all the way through the link. Grab the casing and peel it off.
- I love using my homemade salsa for these breakfast tacos, but any of your favorite store brands will work too.
- We’re scrambled egg lovers here, so I usually use those, but a good fried egg, or sunny side up is amazing too (with that beautiful runny egg yolk).
- I didn’t show them here in the photos, but diced avocado is a FABULOUS topping for these tacos as well. I had just run out on the day I was shooting these photos 🙂
- Cast Iron Skillet – this skillet is honestly my favorite kitchen tool. Gives an AMAZING sear, and will last a lifetime!
- Stainless Steel Tongs – perfect for holding the tortilla over the burner to char.
WANT TO TRY THESE SPICY BREAKFAST TACOS?
PIN THEM TO YOUR BREAKFAST OR MEXICAN BOARD TO SAVE FOR LATER!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
The best way to start your day is with these chorizo, potato and egg breakfast tacos! Spicy and savory, with an easily customizable heat level, they're sure to be a family favorite!
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb ground Mexican chorizo
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- soft taco sized corn or flour tortillas
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- salsa, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- shredded cheese, for garnish
Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over MED HIGH heat. Add chorizo and brown, breaking into crumbles until fully cooked and slightly crispy. Transfer to a plate, reserving grease in the skillet.
Add potatoes and onion, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, and saute in the chorizo grease (adding a bit of vegetable oil if necessary), until potatoes are tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, about 12-15 minutes.
Add Serrano pepper and sliced green onions and cook for 1 minute more.
Add potato mixture to the cooked chorizo on the plate. Wipe out skillet to remove browned bits of food.
Add butter and heat over LOW heat. Add beaten eggs to skillet and scramble, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Once cooked, set aside.
Microwave or char tortillas over an open burner flame, until pliable and warm.
Top tortilla with potato and chorizo mixture, eggs, and garnish as desired.
Recipe originally shared on Real Housemoms