Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies
Rich, fudgy brownies, topped with a creamy pumpkin cheesecake layer, then topped with a pecan streusel… does it get any better?! Perfect for ANY Fall party, or a fun recipe to make with the kids, this pumpkin cheesecake brownie recipe uses brownie mix to make it a little less labor intensive. Feel free to use your favorite homemade brownie batter if you prefer!
PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE BROWNIES
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE BROWNIES
Even though these cheesecake brownies look fancy and complicated, they’re super easy!
- Mix the brownie mix according to the package. Transfer to pan, leaving some out for later.
- Mix together the cream cheese, pumpkin, sugar, egg and spice. Drop onto the brownies and smooth into a layer.
- Drop the reserved brownie batter on top of the pumpkin layer and swirl.
- Mix up the butter, sugar, pecans and spice and sprinkle on the brownies.
- Bake and enjoy!
COOKING TIPS FOR PUMPKIN BROWNIES
As easy as these brownies are to make, there are a few things that will make your baking life a little easier.
- Line the pan – as simple as it is, a lot of people skip this step, but it’s SO much easier to remove the brownies from the pan when there’s parchment paper. Just lift up from both sides!
- Pick your favorite mix – we’re making life easier by using a brownie mix, so make sure you’re using a quality one that you like. My personal fave is Ghirardelli.
- Use a toothpick to swirl – toothpicks work SO well for swirling. They’re cheap and you don’t have to clean them off afterwards!
- Make sure you use the right pumpkin – look for a can of pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie mix.
VARIATIONS OF PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE BROWNIES
Not a huge fan of pumpkin? No worries!
- Apple – replace the pumpkin with apple butter (try this easy version!), and replace the pumpkin pie spice with a mixture of 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg.
- Raspberry – replace the pumpkin with raspberry preserves, and omit the pumpkin pie spice.
- Vanilla – omit the pumpkin, add 1/4 cup more softened cream cheese, and add 1 tsp vanilla bean paste.
For these alternate varieties, I would omit the pumpkin pie spice from the streusel topping.
As an alternate or additional topping, try this browned butter caramel sauce!
MAKING PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE BROWNIES AHEAD OF TIME
These cheesecake brownies can be made ahead of time, and will keep for 3-4 days. I have not tested freezing this recipe.
STORING CHEESECAKE BROWNIES
These brownies should be kept refrigerated and covered tightly so they don’t dry out. Keep for 3-4 days, then discard.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN PUMPKIN PIE SPICE MIX
Sure you could buy some pumpkin pie spice from the grocery store, but what if they’re out? Or you just don’t feel up to a store run to pick some up? I’ve got you covered with a handy homemade version!
- 3 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
Mix those up and you have your very own pumpkin spice magic.
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Hand Mixer – I prefer to use a hand mixer to combine the cream cheese and pumpkin puree. Otherwise I feel like the cream cheese doesn’t 100% mix in.
- Parchment Paper – I love to use the pre-cut sheets.
- Baking Pan – I like to use a 7×11 pan, but an 8×8 pan will work too.
BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO CHECK OUT OTHER READERS’ COMMENTS!
AND DON’T FORGET, IF YOU’VE MADE THIS RECIPE, LEAVE A COMMENT AND PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING!
Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix - mixed according to package directions
PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE LAYER
- 1/2 cup softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
PECAN STREUSEL LAYER
- 1/2 cup pecans - chopped
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp butter - melted
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper (can use a 7x11 inch pan as well), or spray with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Mix brownies according to package directions and pour into prepared pan, smoothing into an even layer, reserving 1/2 cup for later.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, pumpkin, both sugars, egg and pumpkin pie spice. Pour over brownie batter and smooth into an even layer.
- Drop the reserved brownie batter by the spoonful over the cheesecake layer, then gently swirl the two layers together with a toothpick or butter knife. Be sure not to mix, you're just looking for swirls.
- Combine the pecans, brown sugar, flour, melted butter and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl, then sprinkle over the top of the brownies.
- Bake for 55 minutes, until brownies are set and the edges are starting to brown. If the middle is a tad bit soft, it will firm up as it cools.