Buttery, and full of ranch flavor, the crockpot does the work for you with this mushroom side dish! Only takes 5 minutes to prep and 3 simple ingredients!
So, tell me… what do you all think about mushrooms? Yay or nay? For me, it’s always a YAY! I love love love mushrooms… in any form! Raw, as a garnish, in a filling, roasted, stuffed… I could go on all day lol. If you don’t like mushrooms, we can still be friends… but you’re totally missing out on deliciousness!
Do you have 5 minutes and 3 ingredients? I bet so… and if you do… you could be having these mushrooms. Tonight!
That’s right you guys… 3 ingredients. THREE! Sorry I get super excited about simple meals, or in this case, side dishes. I don’t know about you guys, but when I’m planning meals for our family, I tend to get the main course covered, but will occasionally forget the sides. And by occasionally… I mean pretty frequently!
That’s where side dishes like this are perfect… minimal effort, and HUGE flavor payout!
CAN YOU PUT MUSHROOMS IN A SLOW COOKER?
Absolutely! Or I wouldn’t be sharing this recipe 🙂 The reason people question it, is that mushrooms don’t take very long to cook, so when you slow cook them, you can run the risk of them being OVERcooked, and mushy. No one likes that! The secret here is to use whole mushrooms, so they take a little longer, and to only cook them for about 3 hours. Maybe 4 hours if you have some seriously jumbo mushrooms.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CROCKPOT MUSHROOMS?
Basically you want 3 elements; the mushrooms themselves, some sort of fat or liquid, and seasoning. For this mushroom recipe, I use the following:
- Whole button mushrooms
- Ranch dressing packet
Buttery, ranch-y (yeah, I just made that word up lol), and completely delicious!
Now I can’t guarantee that these are kid-friendly… as my kids have an aversion to mushrooms (how is that even possible, with parents who are mushroom obsessed?!). But what I can promise you, is that you won’t even want to share these mushrooms.
HOW DO YOU CLEAN MUSHROOMS?
That’s a bit of a debate in the food-world. Some people think if you wash them, the mushrooms will be rubbery when you cook them, because they absorb too much water. Other people think if you don’t wash them, you’re eating dirty food. Here’s what I personally do. For mushrooms that just have a little bit of light dirt on them, I don’t wash them. Instead, I take a damp paper towel and wipe them off. For the mushrooms that are pretty dirty, I wash them.
PRO TIPS FOR CROCKPOT MUSHROOMS:
- If the mushroom stems are longer than you’d like, go ahead and give them a chop. I don’t mind a little stem, but more than and inch or so, and I chop part of the stem off.
- As you’re stirring the butter mixture around with the mushrooms, it will look like there’s not enough to coat them all. That’s completely okay. The mushrooms give off a LOT of liquid as they cook, and it all mixes together.
- If you’re not a fan of ranch dressing, don’t worry, zesty Italian dressing mix will work just as well.
- Not a fan of ranch dressing packets? Feel free to use your own homemade recipe. This one is our favorite.
- If you’d like to cut back a little on the butter here, drizzle in some olive oil to replace some of it.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CROCKPOT RANCH MUSHROOMS?
- Italian Stuffed Flank Steak
- Low Carb Baked Chicken Tenders
- Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken
- Chipotle Glazed Meatloaf
SHOP THE RECIPE:
- Crockpot – My all-time favorite slow cooker!
Post originally shared on April 20, 2015, and has been updated with helpful tips and new photos.
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 1 lb fresh whole button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup butter , melted
- 1 packet of dry ranch dressing mix
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh parsley minced (optional, for garnish)
- Clean mushrooms thoroughly, then place in bottom of slow cooker.
- Whisk ranch dressing mix into melted butter, then pour over mushrooms. Stir to coat.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours. Check for desired tenderness, and cook a little longer if needed.
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley if desired.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
3/4 cup butter (1.5 sticks)
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
2 packets of dry ranch dressing mix Cook as directed.
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Leave a Comment